Monday, January 27, 2014

Seeing XX's



I love this.

"Every time I see this image, the concept of foreshadowing comes to mind. The Soska twins have worked so hard and you can tell they are such hard working women in the industry. They give so much of themselves to their fans, friends and loved ones, its humbling and inspiring. Most people, the minute they get any notoriety lose their sense connectivity to where they came from.
So, here, we see a shot of Mary, struggling, covered in blood and in the background, we see her attacker… but what really catches my eye now is the “X X on the doors to Mary’s new place.

As some of you may know, Jen and Sylvia Soska are now working on a film, specifically an all-female horror anthology titled XX. Itwill feature segments directed by female filmmakers.

The director roster includes JENNIFER LYNCH, known for Boxing Helena, Chained, Surveillance), MARY HARRON ( American Psycho, The Notorious Bettie Page) and of course, JENNIFER SYLVIA SOSKA (Dead Hooker in a Trunk, American Mary, See No Evil 2) among many other great female filmmakers.

If you know anything about me, you know that I am a strong proponent of strong, intelligent, and creative women. I do consider myself a feminist, specifically speaking, a third wave feminist. Therefore, to see that something like this is coming together is just not only awe-inspiring but also quite touching. I have always been an advocate for strong female leads, whether it’s in film or in t.v shows (I grew up watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer) or in bands (Evanescence, Lacuna Coil, The Veronicas etc) and I am the first person to root for “girl power.”

As a side note, just because a woman embraces her sexuality, dresses sexy and feels sexy, does not take away from her intelligence, wittiness, creativity and humbleness. A woman can be sexy, and humble!!! I can’t tell you how many times, I walk into a room, a meeting and can just tell the judgement on some people’s faces." ~Sandra Struzik
-Sylv 

No comments:

Post a Comment