Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I am Woman, Hear Me Roar

What an exciting genre to be a part of. Horror. Where else will teenage girls defeat unspeakable evil, even younger girls become the epitome of evil, and the final girl will rule? Last February, men and women, from all over the world came together to celebrate the first annual Women In Horror Month.

It's still a few months away, but we want you to be in the know, girls and boys. You, reading this blog right now, can be a part of it. It's a great comradery event in the horror scene. This appreciation and awareness month was started by good friend and sister separated at birth, the incredible - Hannah Neurotica. And that lady never stops working. Here is the latest --


The first way to join in the fun is a WiH Month Poster Campaign. And here are some rad ones that have been submitted --

The first flyer submission from Zach Shildwachter.

New WiH Month poster by Alison Lilly.


New WiH Month design painted by Michelle Moricola.


"You may have seen my manic clogging up of your Facebook/Twitter/Myspace pages with a proposal for “FEBRUARY AS WOMEN IN HORROR RECOGNITION MONTH: February has 28 days so it seems appropriate. PASS IT ON.” I posted it originally as just that- a proposal. That is no longer the case. Instead I am fucking claiming it. As a woman I have spent most of my life afraid to claim space for myself in the world. Building this website is about confronting that and from my impression I am so far from alone in this. It is not un-common for a lot of woman living in our openly patriarchal society to feel the burdens of their gender on a daily basis. Examples: Walking outside alone at night with the constant fear of attack, still being paid less for equal work, reproductive rights constantly threatened, body image self esteem massacres in women’s magazines/popular media, etc etc. So who’s to say I need some outside source to grant me their godly permission to claim February as WOMEN IN HORROR RECOGNITION MONTH? Easy: I don’t. Just like I didn’t need someone’s permission to start Ax Wound ‘Zine, I don’t need anyone to grant the creation of this much needed month. So, in the spirit of punk rock, DIY (Do-It-Yourself), and a little sprinkle of blood saturated glitter… I officially claim February 2010 the first annual WOMEN IN HORROR RECOGNITION MONTH. If I have to celebrate by myself so be it but I really hope to have the support of horror fans of all genders! Now let’s get into the nitty-fucking-gritty about why this is necessary and how you can bring this alive from the dark cold underground where it lays dormant and waiting for us to animate."


Women In Horror Month is coming fast. February 2011 will mark the second annual Women In Horror Month! What will you do? Plan now. Make your mark.

~Sylv

No comments:

Post a Comment