Monday, August 23, 2010

Insane, in a Good Way


When you creatively make something - films, artwork, music - the part of yourself, your own personality, makes it stand out. It's for this reason that I feel incredibly naked and vulnerable when 'Dead Hooker in a Trunk' is screened. If you look closely, you get to know so much about Jen and me. What makes us laugh, what we find creepy, what makes us the twisted twins that we are.



I am in love with this recent review on us and our film from Jonathan Weichsel, of filmradar.com. What is film radar? Let's see what they have to say for themselves --

"(Our) goal is to bring the virtually endless world of specialty film-going in Los Angeles right to your fingertips. This site covers revival, repertory, and special film events and the venues which house them. Whether your taste is classic Hollywood, documentary, avant-garde, foreign films, silent films, or cult classics ... FILMRADAR has it covered!"


Back to Mr. Weichsel. His sharp intellect and mastery of language gives the review a depth and life that makes me feel like I am looking at the film with new eyes. Which is hard to do after being married to our hooker for going on three years now. Bravo to you, Jonathan, and thank you for your most rad review.

How rad is it, Sylv? Well, it's off the meter in radness. Here's the deliciously rad intro --

"There are certain filmmakers whose personalities shine through in every film they direct. As examples that everybody knows, I would cite Woody Allen and Quentin Tarantino. You can not watch a Tarantino film without just knowing who Tarantino is. Based solely on their debut film, Dead Hooker in a Trunk, I would also cite identical twin sisters Jen and Sylvia Soska. The personality of these two filmmakers shines through so strongly in this film, that after watching it I felt I knew exactly who they are.

So, what do I know about The Soska Sisters, who wrote, produced, directed, and star in Dead Hooker in a Trunk? For starters, I know that they are insane, but in a good way. I know that they have a twisted sense of humor, and don’t merely tell sick jokes, but revel in them. I know that they are outrageous, irreverent, whimsical, sarcastic, stylish, and imaginative. Dead Hooker in a Trunk is a film with lots of personality, and one of the most stunning debuts I have seen in years."


I know, right? Totally fucking rad. Revel in the article's entirety here. Treat yourself to checking out more of his work on the site. The gentleman has a way with words and gives a fresh perspective on even your most memorized favorite films.



There are two films that we are in the midst of pre-production on, some new darkly fucked up stories we are dying to tell you, girls and boys, so keep an eye out. We'll be posting as with as much details as we get these bad boys (or girls) up and running.

~Sylv

PS Have a fabulous Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment